Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Back to School Night Kindergarten Style

I haven't posted all week, I think it's because my kids are in school and I have nothing to take pictures of. I might have to start documenting Lou's day in the life.

Tonight was back to school night for kindergarten. It was fun to get to know her teacher, Miss Shawn, a little better and hear what they are up to. It's really fun, because I think Peyton is really learning stuff.

Tonight I realized that they are learning vocabulary words every day. I hadn't heard anything about it--all I hear is who she played with at recess and rode with on the bus.

So, when I got home, I asked Peyton and she spouted this week's words out to me:
"stalking", "perfectly" and "resemblance". Big words for a 5 year old, but she totally understood their meaning.

They also write in a journal every day. They write the date (she loves this part), draw a quick picture with themselves in it and then write as much as they can. For Peyton, this means just writing the first letter of the word. For example, if it was a picture of her playing soccer, she would have a "S" for soccer, a "B" for the ball, and then her name. Might not sound like much, but it's all the prereading/prewriting skills that she'll need.

She's getting it and is excited about it all. Yeah kindergarten!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Big words for Peyton :) Yes! You should totally do a day in the life of Lou! I think that's a great idea, really. Just commit to a week or so of a daily pic of that dog. I'd love it.